Have you found sometimes that despite your best efforts in doing things, it just doesn’t seem to be happening? You know that it's important to exercise regularly, but you seem to get sidetracked. Does there always seem to be something more urgent, interesting or important to do?
Have you ever met your inner saboteur yet? No? I’m sure that we’re all familiar with behaviour of our own personal saboteur. Sometimes it’s crystal clear that we sabotage our success or love, but other times it happens in ways that we don't see or even realise it's happening until it's too late.
Either we are feeling not good enough, or we prefer to put other people's needs first, or we overthink and over-rationalise, sooner or later we find ourselves stuck at the same point where we were some time ago and wondering why we are not moving on. There are many reasons why we have convinced ourselves that self-sabotaging is good. Let's explore them and disarm our Saboteurs.
STOP overthinking, minimising, compromising, avoiding, over-analysing, generalising, over-pleasing, victimising, over-controlling, and START living!
Self sabotage includes a nasty list of culprits such as:
- Is the action of delaying or postponing something. We have all been in the situation where we take forever to make a decision about something.
- Is to feel anxious or troubled about actual or potential problems. We often worry about things that haven't happened yet. This can cause us to miss opportunities, or not act when we should.
- Is a state of mental or emotional tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances. A little bit of stress is good for us. However in this day and age we are constantly being bombarded by stress and anxiety. This causes ill health and has us second guessing or doubting ourselves and what we want due to the stress and anxiety caused.
- Limiting Beliefs
- Originates as limiting decisions that are made at a time where the original decision is designed to protect us or benefit us in some way. However over time these limiting decisions and beliefs no longer serve us and in most cases are preventing us from reaching our full potential.
- Self Doubt
- Is lack of confidence in oneself and one's abilities. Much of the self doubt that we experience is given to us by others or our own skewed version of reality, causing us to not believe in the abilities that we have.
- Self Criticism
- Is criticism of oneself or one's actions. This is something we do constantly. It is one of the most destructive ways that we can prevent ourselves from getting what we want in life. "We don't deserve it.... I'll never be good enough" are killers of progress and advancement
- Is an unpleasant emotion or feeling caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm. Most fear in life is brought about by the unknown. Once the thing we fear is known and examined, we no longer fear it. Fear keeps us from doing those things that we need to do to step out of our comfort zone and get those things that we want.
So what do we do about it?
- Recognise the self sabotaging behaviour.
- Ask yourself questions when situations seem to be repeating themselves. For example, what things have you been putting off for some time? How many projects do you have started and not finished? Does it take time to "get around to things"? Looking at what your doing critically and consciously shines a light on the behaviour
- Monitor your negative behaviour
- Write down and keep track of the thoughts and feelings as they happen. Journalling at the end of each day is a great way of keeping tabs on your thoughts.
- Challenge your Negative thinking.
- When you find yourself with negative thoughts and you are writing them down and being conscious of them, now it's time to challenge them. Look at each thought and ask yourself "What do I want instead of this"? Write that down also so that you can consciously look at both and your unconscious will choose that better option.
Be positive with yourself. Think positive thoughts about yourself and others.
At Tranceformed Living we have the tools to eliminate your self sabotage and help you find the MISSING PIECE to take your life to the NEXT LEVEL.
When your ready to eliminate the Self Saboteur within, arrange a no obligation Strategy Session today.
Have a great day and be good to yourselves!
Wayne Page. Life & Success Coach, PNLP, CCHt